Briefly explained: Hand Luggage Rules
Regulations for business trips
Hand Luggage Liquid Restrictions
Other regulations apply to products you purchase from the Duty Free Shop, such as alcoholic beverages. You may carry these with you in your hand luggage, but you should make sure that the shop personnel stow the bottle in a tamper-proof bag.
Please be aware that non-EU countries may have different rules for liquids in hand luggage. Products from Duty Free Shops can cause problems at those airports. If you are planning to make a purchase, you should inform yourself in advance about the applicable regulations at your transfer airports. For the restrictions of American security screening please have a look at their Transportation Security Administration.
If you are dependent on medication, you should label it with your name and dosage and show it separately at the security check. Also, you should carry a doctor's certificate with you as a prescription proof.
Hand Luggage Size
Hand Luggage Weight
Important Hand Luggage Restrictions Regarding Dangerous Goods
- Briefcase with alarm system and integrated lithium batteries
- Razor blades – you should use disposable razors as these are allowed
- Nail polish remover, because it is easily inflammable
- Hairspray and other compressed air containers
- Storm and petrol lighters; a gas lighter, however, is permitted as long as you wear it on your body. Caution: When travelling to or within the United States, lighters are generally prohibited
- Many airlines prohibit carrying the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphone
- Scissors including hair clippers – with a blade length of more than six centimeters
There is considerable uncertainty over batteries and rechargeable batteries. According to the applicable hand luggage rules, commercially available alkaline batteries may be carried in unlimited quantities. However, there are restrictions on lithium-ion batteries, such as those used in laptops. As a general rule, laptops or other devices with lithium-ion batteries may only be carried in hand luggage and will be examined extra carefully at the security check. A quantity restriction does not exist. In contrast, you may only carry two external lithium-ion batteries with you, such as Powerbanks. These must not exceed an energy content of 100Wh.
Hand Luggage Rules – Better Safe Than Sorry