How to make the most of Brussels, even on a business trip
Explore this European capital the next time you find yourself there on business. Get ready to enjoy culture, city strolls and a night on the town.
Business: what you need to know
- In general, French-speaking Belgians (Wallons) don't like it when you speak to them in Dutch, and vice versa. But don't fret: if you're a foreigner, they won't hold it against you!
- Being well organized and on time are highly appreciated qualities in Brussels.
- A lot of importance is often given to the first meeting; it usually lays the foundations of a relationship built on trust.
How to fill your mornings
- No morning in Brussels would be complete without treating yourself to some of those famous Belgian waffles. This won't be difficult to achieve – they're everywhere! But if you want to experience the best, we recommend you head to Funambule, or to Maison Dandoy.
- Got some time to spare? Want to take something home with you that's original and authentic? Make your way to the La Fabrika where you can hunt down typical Belgian-style decorative objects.
- Comic strip fans will be in seventh heaven wandering around the Belgian Comic Strip Centre, which displays Belgian comic strip masterpieces like Tintin, the Smurfs, and Blake and Mortimer.
- Time permitting, make sure you get chance to enjoy the many vast green areas that are dotted around the city, especially the botanical gardens.
Where to go when business is done
- It's time to take a break and unwind. Brussels is the city for those who love good beer (in moderation!). The classic itinerary involves visiting top breweries, like the Moeder Lambic Fontainas, Au Bon Vieux Temps or the Delirium Bar, where you can take your pick from 2,000 different beverages for a well-deserved after-work treat.
- This is also a great opportunity to visit the Belgian Brewers Museum to learn all about the history of this much-loved, amber-hued drink.
- Want a bite to eat? Try the Taverne Greenwich where you can sample its famous Stoemp, a richer version of the purée of fine vegetables that Brussels locals have been enjoying since the 19th century.
This may also interest you.
Mussels with chips, stoemp, various cheeses or paschtéit, discover the gastronomic pleasures of Benelux during your business travels
Those cities are constantly teeming with international travellers! Here are 3 easy ways of socialising & networking with some of them between meetings or after work...
Check out our business travel offers
- ACCORHOTELS BUSINESS OFFER Receive your negotiated rates by booking in your preferred hotels from our network of over 3,500 worldwide!
- BUSINESS PLUS MULTI-BRAND CARD This flexible offer is tailored to individual travellers as well as companies and offers up to 20% discount on hotel nights worldwide.
- CORPORATE CONTRACTS Customised contracts! Select your preferred destinations and hotels and we will offer you an annual contract with specially negotiated terms and rates.